For readers who know what they are doing, now is probably a great time to stop reading this blog. Many poor choices are about to be made, holes burnt in steel instead of welds, and other egregious mistakes. For all others, read on.
I ran to my local hardware store and bought up a bunch of square tube. I broke out my sweet low buck flux core welder, my carpenter square, and my Harbor Freight 3″ electric cutoff wheel. I know the air tools are better but I don’t have enough air to run them and usually don’t spend enough time in the garage to make it worthwhile.
I began by setting the factory radiator support in place and measuring every fixed point I could find. I transferred the vertical points to the floor with a plumb bob and masking tape.
You’ll see in some of the pictures I marked up the factory radiator support. I was very torn at the time and was strongly considering cutting up the factory support and using it. Ultimately I didn’t think I could make it work. In the end I think my homemade support is holding up fine. If my booger welds break I’ll post the evidence.
I bought a full polyurethane bushing kit for the car from Prothane. I trimmed down the rad support bushings so they fit into the C-channel that makes the base of my fabbed up rad support.